Tuesday, August 14, 2007

At the Zoo


At the Zoo, originally uploaded by ujima.

At the gym today, I was so proud to tell Sue
that I had walked around America's Oldest
Zoo for four hours without tiring or having pain.
These months of therapy and training are
having a spectacular effect on my health.

When I taught for 37 years, I took the pupils
to the zoo each year. I hadn't been back in
the nine years I've been retired. Such wonderful
changes for the animals. More open spaces. No
bars and cages. Open green spaces. Wooden
limbs and plastic toys for recreation. The plantings
on the zoo grounds have increased tenfold or more.
Lots of bamboo, beautiful flowers, thick bushes of
plants in so many areas. A beautiful, enjoyable area
even though I know the zoo is not the perfect place
for many animals.
I think I'll renew the membership I
bought on retirement but never used.

No comments: