Sunday, December 14, 2008

obama.dich


obama.dich, originally uploaded by ujima.

My BIL's nephew, Pete, lives in Germany. I've been begging him to find me an Obama tee from the day Barack gave the speech in Berlin. This is what I got in the mail yesterday. (Shirt to follow, Pete?)

I asked a friend who speaks German what this cartoon is saying. He said
" This a sentence you usually use in a prayer... "Lord, have mercy upon us". In German you say it "Herr, erbarme Dich unser". The word "Erbarme" (have mercy) sounds like "Obama" so they replaced it.
Basically this means, "Lord, give us Obama" or Lord, have Obama on us". He is standing on the "Siegessaeule" (column of victory) in Berlin. It points at the hysteria Obama caused when he went to
Germany ealrier this year. For me it means 2 points: 1) It describes that the Lord should finally send a "Redeemer" (after long years of crap) and 2) it makes fun of the people who see Obama as the redeemer,
b/c after all he is just a human being and a polititian. He still has to prove he is (at that time he wasn't elected) worth electing... which we will see in the next 4 years... I think this is a great cartoon!!!!
It couldn't be anymore closer reality!!"

No comments: