Monday, January 22, 2007

BFD


BFD, originally uploaded by ujima.

James Brown sang,"I don't want nobody to
give me nothin'. Open the door, I'll get it
myself."

So much made of first time two African-
American coaches being in the Super
Bowl.What's to be
so proud of? If Black coaches had been
given equal opportunity, it would have
happened a loong time ago!

Since 1920, over 400 head coaches have
been hired, but only 6 were African-
Americans (five since 1989)
although they were many qualified
men who were never given a
chance because they were Black.

The Black coaches outperformed their
white counterparts, but were often the
first fired by the team owners.

Teams led by white coaches made it to
the playoffs 39% of the time, while the
African-American coaches made it to
the playoffs 67% of the time.

The Rooney Rule which forces teams to
interview minority candidates when
hiring a new coach is a step the NFL has
passed in recent years. Open the door,
I'll get it myself!

No comments: