Friday, August 04, 2006

Outtie!


Outtie!
Originally uploaded by ujima.

Didn't want to stay at home with no airconditioning so
we got Arlene to drop us in the shopping center on her
way out. At 66, I was the youngest person in the
supermarket because the Cathedral Village bus had not
yet picked up its residents. Saw people I hadn't seen
in a while because they travel early, while I'm still
asleep. All of the people who work in the market were
pleased to see Mom. She hadn't been there in a while.
Doesn't get out as much as she used to.
As we walked to the drugstore, we noticed how it had
gotten hotter already, but not nearly as scorching and
humid as it's been this week with 120F heat factors.I
was pleased that the young man from Burkina Faso was
in the store to meet Mom. I had told her that most of
the cashiers hired there are from different countries
in Africa. They are found to be excellent workers:
intelligent, prompt, friendly and polite, dependable.
The customers love the guys!
At the library, they couldn't tell Mom enough stories
about the trouble I always cause with my silly (but
helpful) attitude. I showed her the computer for
people with vision problems, and we sent Mike an email
with a gigantic font.
We crossed over to the nail store for manicures. She
got plain. I got burning summer orange polish.
At Mickey D's we had thick vanilla shakes and shared
small fries.
The electricity came on about two and things slowly
got back to normal until the power went out at 8 PM!
Luckily it wasn't off long. But now I have to reset
all the clocks again.
It was great to be out walking again. The pain is much
less severe. There's hope for me!

No comments: