Friday, June 02, 2006

Hades hot again today. It's acceptable in August, but is hard to bear in May/June. I need May, June and July to get ready for the heat and humidity of August.

Everyone's riding. I'm walking. Cars and trucks and SUVs, scooters and motorcycles and bicycles. I don't drive. Can't. I was such a bad driver that I was afraid to ride with *myself*! All the kids in the family would run and hide when I jingled my keys. (Mom said her father was such a poor driver that people would hide in the ditch when they even *thought* they heard his Model-T coming :) I'd be driving along and everything'd be going OK so my mind would drift. Then I'd see a sign that said "Resume Speed". Ouch!

One day I sideswiped cars five times. So I turned in my license and told then to never give me another one. Forty five years later, I'm still using public transit and still walking. No problem. At least I'm helping to keep the world safe for pedestrians and other drivers.

No comments: