Saturday, June 17, 2006

Relay for Life Fundraiser


Relay for Life Fundraiser
Originally uploaded by ujima.

Spent Thursday and Friday on the pool deck preparing
for, decorating for, soliciting money for our
fundraiser for The Relay for Life, the walk for cancer
research. Our team, Coyle's Café, had invited lots of
people. We had also put up flyers in the apartments
but didn't get the crowd expected. With beer, wine and
refreshments for only $5, we should have gotten a
larger crowd; but people here don't get home from
work, begin to party until 9 or 10 and our event was
6-9 pm.
But we had a respectful number and did realize some
money. I,personally, collected $550 over the two days
which put me over my goal of $1000. The "kids" who
live here were generous with anything from $1-$50.
I was called to pick the number for the 50/50 and
everyone cheered and clapped. When I picked *my own
number* everyone booed 8>D Then I mentioned that I
was contributing the $100 to the relay fund and
everyone cheered again.
Today I'm resting and reading and feeling grateful to
generous friends who support me.

No comments: