Saturday, December 02, 2006

@ the Union League


@the Union League, originally uploaded by ujima.

So sunny and breezy today so I decided to go out to do
errands. Stopped at the library to give the staff the
McDonald's coupons that were in the newspaper.I helped
Angelo work on his new blog. (That's why I have two
entries today,) Two hours later I was still there
helping people. And the sun was going down. And I
hadn't done my errands yet.

I had gotten a message yesterday, an offer of a ride
in town to join the candlelight protest at the Union
League. They were giving Rumsfeld The Union League
Gold Medal. Eighty protesters stood quietly as the 700
league members in their gowns and tuxedoes entered to
partake in the dinner and medal ceremony. I was there
in spirit.

My 50th high school reunion (Philadelphia High School
for Girls) had put down a deposit at the league
because we were going to have our celebration there.
But, after the news of them honoring Rummy, the emails
flew fast and thick and we have decided to have our
meeting elsewhere. Good job!

1 comment:

Ujima said...

Last night, the Daily News received an e-mail from Joan Myerson Shrager, who had planned to hold her 50th Philadelphia High School for Girls class reunion at the Union League, where several former classmates are members.

"We are canceling this event because of the Gold Medal award to Donald Rumsfeld," wrote Shrager.
"I have received e-mails from dozens of classmates saying they will not attend the reunion if we continue with our plans to hold it at the Union League. We will not. Rumsfeld has blood on his hands, the blood of our kids."