Thursday, February 08, 2007

Million Woman March


Million Woman March, originally uploaded by ujima.

On February 8:
1944 - Harry S. McAlphin, first African
American to be accredited to attend the
White House press conference.
1986 - Oprah Winfrey becomes the first
African American woman to host a
nationally syndicated talk show.

We were up and down by the river before sunup: Baltimore Sis,Sis
and I among thousands of woman waiting. Finally someone began
singing and all joined in. After prayers and a few short speeches, we
began walking.
When the sun came up, I turned to see that thousands more had
joined in the march. The singing, laughing and waving continued
for about an hour until we reached the steps of the Philadelphia
Art Museum (designed by a Black American,Julian Abele). We
sat and rested and talked to women from alll over the U.S.
BSis met a young girl who shared her surname, and they discovered
that they had relatives in common. I met a photographer from
London, Sandria Cruise, with whom I stay when in England.

The speeches, the music, but mainly the sisterhood keeps this
day fresh in my memory. I still carry the bad I bought that day
which says "Great Grandmother taught Gtandmother.
Grandmother taught Mother. Mother taught Me.I will teach YOU!!"

No comments: