Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Rosa said no


Rosa said no, originally uploaded by ujima.

On February 13:
1923 - The first black professional basketball team, "The Renaissance," was organized.
1957 - Southern Christian Leadership Conference organized at New Orleans meeting
with Martin Luther King Jr. as president.
1970 - The New York Stock Exchange admits its first black member, Joseph Searles.

The Neville Brothers sang,"Thank you,Sister Rosa; You were the spark that started our
freedom movement. Thank you Sister Rosa Parks."

I wrote:

Rosa Parks
Queen Mother
Of the Revolution:
Sometimes you have to
Sit down
To
Stand up
For yourself

Talking and walking
Quietly
But making
A noise
Heard
Around the world

Since it had been snowing lightly all day, I hotfooted it into town so I wouldn't get
snowed in and miss lunch tomorrow with he-who-thinks-I'm-swell. My present was
delivered today. You'll see it tomorrow. Lovely.

No comments: